Metaphysical Properties Of Catnip
Official Name: Nepeta cataria
Other Names: Cat, Catmint, Catnep, Catrup, Cat's Word, Field Balm, Nepeta, Nip
Metaphysical Powers: Cat Magic, Love, Beauty, Happiness
Common Magickal Uses and Folklore of Catnip
- When given to your cat, it creates a psychic bond between you and is intoxicating to the cat.
- It's used in love sachets, usually along with rose petals.
- If you hold catnip in your hand until it's warm, then hold someone's hand; they will forever be your friend as long as you keep it in a safe place at home.
- When grown near the house or hung over a door, it will attract good spirits and good luck.
- It's used as spells for beauty and happiness.
It is a perennial herb of the mint family. It is feminine in gender and associated with the power of the planet Venus and water, used in worship rituals or prayers to the god of love, Aengus Og (for happiness and love), and the goddess Aine (for beauty and clarity).
It is traditionally used for medicinal purposes to treat upset stomach, colic, spasms, flatulency, acid, chronic bronchitis, and diarrhea.
Catnip can bring love and luck to those that desire it.
For women, it is advised to place Catnip in a love mojo bag and carry it on your person. It is said to make men attracted to you. Use it in a spiritual bath to get a new lover. Soak Catnip in rum or cinnamon water and sprinkle this near the front of your house and carry this out every evening for twenty-one days, beginning on the night of the new moon. Love will soon come your way!