Metaphysical Properties Of Hawthorn Leaf and Flower
Official Name: Crataegus oxacantha
Other Names: Bread and Cheese Tree, Gaxels, Hagthorn, Halves, Haw, Hazels, Huath, Ladie's Meat, May, May Blossom, May Bush, Mayflower, Quick, Thorn, Tree of Chastity
Deities: Cardea, Flora, Hymen
Metaphysical Powers: Fertility, Chastity, Fishing Magic, Happiness
Ritual Uses of Hawthorn Leaf and Flower
- Hawthorn was once used to decorate Maypoles.
- At one point in time, Hawthorns were believed to be Witches who had transformed themselves into trees.
- Witches have long danced and performed their rites beneath the thorn.
Common Magickal Uses and Folklore of Hawthorn Leaf and Flower
- Hawthorn was used to increasing fertility and therefore were incorporated into spring weddings.
- Leaves were placed beneath the mattress or around the bedroom to enforce or maintain chastity or celibacy.
- To ensure a successful fishing trip, carry it in a sachet in your pocket.
Hawthorn is sacred t the fairies and is part of the tree fairy triad of Great Briton: "Oak, Ash, and Thorn," and here all three trees grow together. It is said that one may see fairies.
Hawthorn is used for treating heart and blood vessels such as congestive heart failure (CHF), chest pain, and irregular heartbeat. Hawthorn is also used to treat tapeworm and other intestinal infections.
*May interfere with digitalis medications.